Monday 25 February 2013

Wear your poppy with pride

Some of the girls at work had heard of my new found crochet skills and had asked if I'd make a few poppies for them to sell for the Poppy Appeal.

Brilliant - my first proper project.  I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to do it or not, but thought I'd give it a go nevertheless - I was straight onto Google and managed to find a pattern for a poppy with a leaf.

If you're interested, the pattern can be found here.  

Poppy 1

Now came the problem - I'd never read a pattern before, I was used to having step by step instructions with pictures.  So I had my pattern, I'd even got some yarn, so I was back onto google and managed to find some websites and a few videos showing you how to read patterns and off I went.  I'll be the first to admit it's not the best, but it was my first attempt and I was so pleased.  This was my first introduction to working in the round.
Poppy 2


Although this was a good likeness to the normal poppy, it wasn't as elegant as I'd liked and I'd found some gorgeous buttons that I wanted to use to make something a bit more classy.  One of the girls at work showed me how to do another type of poppy and I managed to create a few of these.

It was actually a lot simpler than the pattern I followed and looked a lot better when pinned on.  I can't remember the exact instructions, but I created a ring by chaining about 4 or 5 (maybe more) then joining with a slip stitch through t he first chain.  Then I just double crocheted round and round and round until I couldn't double crochet anymore.  Then did a double-treble crochet in each of the doubles in the previous round.  I just copied the leaf pattern from the other poppy, sewed them all together with the button and added a pin to the back.

I'll be doing some more this year so will try and write the pattern down properly.  I'll be honest, I'm rushing here - I'm desperate to get all my crochet bits and pieces blogged so I can carry on with my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment