Monday 25 February 2013

The Throw - The first 8 squares

Okay, the first few squares didn't go too well - but the next lot weren't too bad.  I've sort of decided to accept any mistakes I make now - when I put the throw together, I think the mistakes will add to the uniqueness of it all :)

Square 1



This was worked in the round - I wish they all were.  I prefer working in the round, the work seems to take it's shape more that way.

This was made using treble crochet and was very simple.

I was convinced I would get this wrong with the changing of the yarn, but it was actually very simple.












Squares 2, 3 and 4

The next two squares were made by simply creating a square of half treble crochets then using a yarn needle to embroider/cross stitch a pattern on. As you can probably see, my cross-stitching skills leave little to be desired.  I'm hopeless at it :)


 Square 5

I really like this square - it's really simple yet effective. It was made with treble crochet but instead of going through a stitch, you go round the treble from the previous row.  I'm not very good at explaining but basically, you yarn over, put your hook through one hole from back to front, then through the next hole front to back, yarn over then pull it back through then complete the treble stitch.  I think it gives a lovely pattern.










Square 6

This one was quite simple - it was created using the double crochet stitch and changing the colours throughout to create little squares.















Square 7

This was a little more complicated but it's definitely my favourite square.  It was the most fun to do and the nicest to look at.

The main part of the square is created with the treble crochet stitch and then changing colour to do a bobble stitch. To get the bobble, you yarn over, go through the next stitch, yarn over and back through, yarn over again, back in the same stitch, yarn over and back through, then do this one more time.  Then do one more yarn over and pull it through all the loops on the hook.  It's actually quite simple.







Square 8

This is probably the easiest and quickest of all the squares to date - it's created with a series of chains and double crochets to join.



Simple! If you want any detail on how to create any of the squares, I'd be glad to help.  However, the full pattern instructions come from "The Art of Crochet"

If anyone can give me some tips on the cross-stitch, I'd be really appreciative :)


No comments:

Post a Comment