Tuesday 26 February 2013

Discovering Amigurumi

What is Amigurumi?


Amigurumi literally translates to crocheted or knitted stuffed toys.  The majority of the patterns you will find though are crocheted.  Mostly, amigurumi will be stuffed animals but there really are no limits to what you can crochet - animals, people, vehicles, anything really.

I discovered amigurumi completely by accident - when I was looking for patterns for Christmas decorations, I'd stumbled across the term on a few occasions and hadn't really understood what it meant.  However, after seeing it a few times, I decided to look into it a bit more and found so many different things that you could do with it, I didn't know where to start.

The thing with Amigurumi is, it's not really practical.  Unlike a pillow, a blanket or a hat, a stuffed toy has no actual purpose other than to look nice, so I wasn't really sure where I'd start for my first project.

 

My first Amigurumi

I wouldn't count any of my christmas decorations as my first amigurumi project as, although technically they were, I didn't actually know that's what I was doing at the time so they don't count :)
I decided I'd try a mouse - one of the customers at work, who has a particular fondness of cats who I have been sending pictures of Turnip to for some time, had sent me some cat nip so I thought I may as well make use of it and make him a stuffed toy and use this in it.  Being a cat, I thought he'd appreciate a mouse, especially as he has a fondness for bringing the real things into the house from time to time.

I managed to find a few free patterns online, but in the end I settled for this little fellow :)

He's looking a bit worse for wear here as Turnip has already taken to him with his claws, but he does enjoy playing with him.


The pattern was so easy to follow - and it's made entirely with double crochet.  I opted for tying a few knots for the eyes instead of using proper ones as he'll only destroy them.

This was the beginning of the Amigurumi bug for me :) Now I just needed to find another project.

No comments:

Post a Comment