Monday 25 February 2013

My first ever blog - about me!

Okay, so here goes - my first blog post.  I had intended to do this a bit sooner ... quite a lot sooner actually, but as I can't go back in time, I best get to work and start summing up the last few months.

Who am I?

This one's easy - I'm Stevie.

Whilst I will try and keep this blog all about my crochet, I can't see the harm in telling you a bit about me.
John and I - August 2007

At this present moment in time I am 28 years old.  I live in Kent with my partner John and my cat Turnip and four chickens (Babs, Dusty, Betty and Enid).  Turnip may make his way into my blog from time to time, John less so.  I absolutely adore my cat and never get bored of taking photos of him.  In fact, I am tempted to create a separate blog all about him - mind you, let's not get carried away, one thing at a time.

As far as hobbies and interests go, I'm very simple.  I like the same as most people - reading, social networking, computer games, films, television and going out with friends.  More recently, I've added crochet to that list.

Why Crochet?

I decided to give up smoking at the end of September 2012 and in my quest to give up, I decided to take up crochet.  It was timed quite nicely with the release of "The Art of Crochet" series, so thought I'd give it a go.

At first, I wasn't sure whether or not I would enjoy it, or in fact whether I would be any good at it.  One of the girls at work decided to do it and I decided to jump on the crochet bandwagon.  I hadn't done any research into the cost, what I'd need or the sorts of things I could create - I just wanted something else to do that would replace the cigarettes.

Anyway, here I am 5 months down the line from buying my first magazine with free hook and wool and I think it's fair to say I am well and truly hooked - pardon the pun!  I'm now at the point where I've created so many things that I would like to start showing off.

I am a complete beginner and I really hope by creating this blog, someone might stumble across it and think "I'd like to try that!"  People are very guilty of saying "If I can do it, you can" but I really do believe it when I say it.  I have a creative mind but when it comes to practical skills, I'm usually lacking.  But, apart from a few teething problems when I first started I really have taken to crochet.

Where to start!

The basics - I can't emphasise that enough.  Start with the basics and don't even think about moving on until you've got the hang of them.  I was crocheting one square for weeks.  I kept starting over and over again with a basic square in double crochet.  Once I was comfortable with that and it looked like a square, I went to treble crochet and did that over and over and over again.  Once you've got the hang of these, everything else is pretty simple.

About my blog!

I've never blogged before so this is all new to me.

I intend to post everything I crochet. I probably won't post patterns for any of my own creations, but that may well change in the future - depending on how comfortable I am - I've only just starting free styling :)

If I'm showing you a piece of work where I'm following a pattern, I'll link to the site so you can purchase/download the pattern for yourself if you would like to.


Anyway, I think I'll leave it there for now - I'm on my lunch break at the moment but was keen to get this started.  I have every intention of carrying on at home later on today but in all probability, that might not happen - there's another thing about me, I'm terrible for procrastination.  It's highly likely that the next post will follow in a few days but as things are at the moment, I have every intention of posting with one of my first projects later today.


Hopefully, I'll be back later - bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment