Tuesday 26 February 2013

Amigurumi Friends - Tina

Sarah came back from Turkey a couple of weeks ago and I was going to meet her at our friend Tina's to give her the Star Wars set. But, I couldn't leave Tina out.  I had to get to work quickly and make something for her.  What better gift than a crochet Tina? :)

I'd got the gist of the round shape for the head - every pattern I'd followed so far (including the Christmas pudding) started the same way, so this was an easy free styling project.  Plus, I'd always wanted to try hair.

When doing hair, I would recommend using cotton or a 4 ply yarn, it's not as thick so it sits better.  I used double knit in this and it doesn't give the best effect.

I'd also recommend buying some safety eyes - I managed to pick some up really cheap from www.e-crafts.co.uk they were absolutely great and I received them the very next day. I used 7.5mm safety eyes and because they were so cheap, I ordered 10 pairs of each colour.

The hair is really easy to do, just very time consuming.  Once I'd crocheted the head, I started on the hair straight away.  I don't know if this is the best time to do it, but I was impatient and really wanted to try it, but it didn't cause me any problems.  All you need to do is cut lots of strands of hair at the desired length.  I found it easier to wrap lots of yarn around my hand then cut it all in one go.

Once you've got your strands you need to attach them to the head.  To do this, I inserted my hook through one hole and out the next, looped a strand over the hook and pulled it through then hooked the other end of the yarn (2 bits) and pulled them through the loop on the hook and pulled tight.

I made the hair much longer than I actually needed it - it can be cut later.  When I'd finished, I thought it best to add the mouth and eyes now - it'd be much more difficult later.


Tina's favourite colour is Turquoise so it was obvious she'd have a turquoise dress.

I added a bit of a silver trim to the bottom and did silver shoes as well.







I gave her hair a bit of a trim, sewed on her arms but there was still something missing.  I made two little circles, stitched them on and we had our finished Tina :)



No comments:

Post a Comment