Saturday 13 April 2013

Plastic carrier bag crochet

I saw something interesting the other day - crocheting with plastic carrier bags.  I'd seen a lot of patterns for making shopping bags, but none actually using shopping bags.  This is something I just had to try.  First off though, you've got a lot of work to do to get your yarn.

To make the yarn, follow these instructions.

http://www.plasticbagcrafts.com/make-plarn/

If you want to get started on your crochet quite quickly, you can add to the yarn as you go which is quite handy.

Making the bag

I haven't got a clue how this will look, but I'll write down what I'm doing bit by bit and if it works out, we might have a sort of pattern. :)

I've just made a foundation chain of about 30 (I didn't count) then worked double crochet in each stitch to the end.  In the last stitch, I did 3 double crochet and then worked around the other side of the foundation chain and did another 3 stitches in the end. Slip stitch to join the row.

For the next row, Chain 2 then work 1 treble in the front loop (or is it the back?) of each of the stitches in the previous row, both sides. slip stitch to join the row.

Chain 2 and treble in each stitch around.

I plan on just working each row and hopefully it'll work.  I might increase or decrease stitches depending how the shape comes along.

4 comments:

  1. Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Cheers

    Printed Paper Bags Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind! I'm flattered you feel it's worthy of sharing :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to get started on your crochet design a carrier bag quite quickly, you can add to the yarn as you go which is quite handy.

    ReplyDelete